Sometimes you need a quick but super satisfying weeknight dinner. After a long day of work, and coming home from the gym starving, I needed something super satisfying using the ingredients that I had in my fridge. With the ingredients I had, I whipped up a delicious, easy meal that anyone could make. This was a perfect amount for just me (one serving), but could be doubled or quadrupled for a group! Check out the steps below for some substitutes and adjustments that can be made on the fly.
- Soy Sauce
- Lime juice
- Chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow squash, spiralized
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, slices long and thin
- Handful of baby spinach
- Marinate chicken breast in soy sauce and lime juice. Bake in oven for 25 minutes at 350, or until cooked through. Set aside. You could grill the chicken as well- that would be delicious!
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on the stove. Toss in mushrooms, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes, until mushrooms start to visibly cook down and turn darker brown.
- Add in red pepper slices and cook for about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Then, add the garlic and stir. Add in your handful of baby spinach and let it cook down and together. It should smell fantastic!
- Add your spiralized zoodles right into the pan and stir with the veggies. Add the chopped chicken into the pan. Add a few tablespoons of soy sauce, but not too much, or the zoodles will get soggy. Only cook the zoodles for about 1 minute or a little longer. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler to make long, wide zoodles! Continuously use the peeler on the squash long ways. See this blog post from another blogger for an example.
- Toss everything together, put in a bowl, and top with sriracha. Enjoy right away as zoodles tend to cool down pretty quick!