I love to bake, and whenever I come across a new chocolate chip cookie recipe, I usually try it out to see if I can beat out the recipe I used before. I typically am a by-the-book Nestle Toll House “back-of-the-chocolate-chip-bag” recipe follower. I always added a 1/4 cup more of brown sugar to help get the flavor and texture I wanted. I highly recommend doing this and also refrigerating the dough for at least 30-40 minutes before putting the cookies in the oven- it makes them bake up so much better than going straight from bowl to cookie sheet. And always under bake slightly for a more ooey-gooey cookie.
However, I came across a new recipe on Buzzfeed’s ultra-popular Tasty platform on Facebook, a page that shows users step-by-step videos on how to make recipes. One that has been a life-changer for me is this chocolate chip cookie recipe, which Tasty posted back in June. Honestly, I’ll never go back to any other recipe. These are unbelievable. Here is the video with the recipe below. Pair with a glass of milk and a good movie and you have yourself an amazingly easy weeknight treat.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed (I recommend dark brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces milk or semisweet chocolate chunks
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chunks (or your preference- for this I cut up a Dove dark chocolate bar)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, salt, and butter until a paste has formed with no lumps.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla, beating until light ribbons fall off the whisk.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda, then fold the mixture with a spatula, being careful not to overmix. This will cause the gluten in the flour to toughen, which will result in cakier cookies.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks evenly, then chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. For a more intense toffee-like flavor and deeper color, chill the dough overnight. The longer the dough rests, the more complex its flavor will be.
- Preheat oven to 350°F while the dough rests.
- Scoop the dough with an ice cream scoop onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, leaving at least 4 inches of space between cookies and 2 inches of space from the edges of the pan so that the cookies can spread evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges have started to barely brown.
Cool cookies on counter top/cooling rack, and enjoy!